Monday, July 28, 2008

Got Zucchini?

Man, we are suckers for sweet breads in the Chandler household!
I ~*~LOVE~*~ pumpkin bread, and I really enjoy a good banana bread.
But now I think I have something to look forward to every summer!

Chocolate Zucchini Bread.

Oh yea.

I always plant zucchini in the garden (forgetting they bush, not vine). This time every year I am usually making stuffed zucchini. Now the first one is always tasty, but by the third...please no!

So this year I did some recipe searching.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
If you have some extra around your garden, make it. If you don't have any in your garden, go buy some and make it.
Yum.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
-------------------------
1/3 cup shortening
1 1/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup grated zucchini (skin on)
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
(I made my own: 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 4 teaspoons ground ginger, 3 teaspoons ground allspice and then put it in an air tight container)
3 tbls cocoa powder
1/3 cup chocolate chips

1- Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 9x5 loaf pan
2- Cream shortening and sugar. Mix in Eggs. Add zucchini, water and vanilla and mix together. Blend in flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and spice.
3- Divide batter in half. Add cocoa and chocolate chips to one half. Pour plain batter into bottom of loaf pan. Pour chocolate batter on top of the plain batter.
4- Bake 1 hour (or until toothpick comes out clean). Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

YUM!

I made 2 loaves to use up all the grated zucchini. But I did not double the recipe. I did one batch, then the other and I baked them together at 350 for an hour.

You know you want to go make it now!

Your welcome! =)

Just me,
Fran =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home